Thursday 5 March 2015

PET scan and PICC line anyone?

It has been a hectic week and I have felt like crap throughout. Currently I am enjoying a Renaissance Cherry Porter, so bliss is very near. This gives me an opportunity to recap on my week and hopefully restrain me from complaining too much.  Here we go…

I feel I may have built up far too much suspense in the ending of the previous paragraph. Sorry about that. Essentially, last week I had chemo Monday, overdid things Friday and spent Saturday and Sunday paying for it dearly. Sunday, I busied myself in differing positions of horizontal; lying in bed, lying on the couch, lying on the floor. I was so exhausted I could not even formulate replies to text messages. Sorry to those affected by this. I know hearing from me is the highlight of everybody’s lives. Fortunately, sleep came readily; I did not even need my nearly-empty-calorie-pills, which is good because I did not have any left, and my biological resistance to slumber inducing substances has reached the level where one antihistamine just doesn’t cut the mustard.

I suspect this current bout of woefulness is in part due to dread. My second cycle of chemo is now complete and this is a magic line in the sand kind of moment, as my treatment and prognosis after this point is dependent on the progress of the chemo thus far.  I am sure that all makes sense. Basically, I had a PET scan prior to my first chemo, and another one yesterday. If the tumours have reduced in size and prevalence, then yay, I stay with ABVD. If not, then treatment options need to be reassessed. This could mean a relatively new regime named escalated BEACOPP (I know very little about it) or, although highly unlikely, an autologous stem cell transplant. I will explain what that means if or when I need to. I won’t find out what my next type of treatment will be until Monday, when the results of my scan are known. Fun times.

Shall we talk about the PET scan then? I had intended this as separate entry, another retrospective one, however I never got around to it so I will do it now. The science behind this is quite cool. They inject a radioactive variant of glucose into you whilst you are in a fasted state. Tumour cells metabolise glucose at a much higher rate than regular cells, so in the PETCT scan they show up all red and angry, while the normal cells are grey and boring. We like boring. Everyone hope for boring. Right, so, I have to be in a fasting state, on the first scan this was fine, it was a 10am scan so it was no big deal. Yesterday it was a 1pm scan; I went from fasting to famished. I had retired to bed at a spritely 9pm the night prior, so by the time my appointment rocked around I’d passed hangger and moved on to total lethargy. I gave vague responses to the multitude of poorly put questions. They were particularly unimpressed with my response to the “Any chance you could be pregnant?” question; “I am pretty sure the chemo would put stop to anything like that”. Not the correct answer, just an FYI. It is crazy that pre-treatment they prep you on the odds of infertility and the like, and then any chance they get they like to ask you if you’re pregnant. I am not, I do not plan to be, and I am pretty sure my body wouldn’t be able to handle it if I was. It would tag out. Game over. Ok so no jokes allowed, granted it was a rather dark one, but I guess we are technically dealing with physicists here.

Once that rather dicey question has been inadequately answered we get down to the fun stuff. The lady (whom I fear I have portrayed negatively when actually she was quite lovely) fetches her radioactive glucose, it is kept in a metal case, in a metal syringe, and looks like something out of a Bond movie; she is donning a full lab coat, gloves and a radiation counter. The cannula is inserted into my right arm (last week’s chemo arm, so already in an utterly pitiful state), and promptly the substance is flushed through my veins. Boom! I am radioactive. I feel like I should have gone all Peter Parker on everyone. Unfortunately I was instructed to lie as still as possible for an hour. Absolutely no leaping with spider like projections from buildings. Damn.  I am not even able to read, as that demands an unfair proportion of glucose for my brain and they would like the distribution to be equal throughout my body, please. As I have mentioned, I was feeling crap, very very very crap. I think I may have slept; the drool present on my face when I was collected would definitely lead to such a conclusion. I was instructed to ‘pee’ (he actually used the word pee, which at least drew a smile out of me) using a separate toilet, as I am radioactive you know.

Then comes the scan. The scan sucks. You have to lay totally still for like 30 minutes, whilst going in and out of a prolonged CT scanner. Oh and you have to keep your hands above your head, still. This was hard enough pre dacarbazine - have I mentioned how much dacarbazine makes my arm ache? – but post chemo it was horrendous. Deep breathing and, I believe, some quick scanning by a fellow antipodean, meant I got through it with only the bare minimum of tears. I think at one point I may have shouted “I can’t go on!” a total “Do it to Julia” moment. Big brother was totally watching, cameras, microphones, the works. Who would have thought room 101 for me was purely keeping my hands above my head for half an hour? And I was a basketballer. I need to toughen up.

That brings me to today. I cannot recall if I have yet mentioned that my arm hurts a mighty lot after chemo. Well it does. It does so much that I have neglected to write this entry into my little black book, as my right arm was my chemo arm this time, and it is unable to hold a pen. So I am going full tilt on the typing, which to be honest, does little to relieve the pain. But do not fear dear readers! I have come across a solution. This solution is a PICC line, which I had inserted today. A PICC line is inserted just above the elbow joint. Using ultra sound and local anaesthetic, a wire is thread through the vein, running just under the fourth rib and into the heart. A tube then surrounds the wire, and a cannula is attached to the tube. No more needles, and a lovely little protective sheath for the dacarbazine (if indeed that is the drug of choice) to pass through rather than the vein. And, above all, hopefully no more bloody arm pain. Except now I don’t know which pain is caused by the darcabazine, and which pain is caused by the PICC line. What I can tell you is that occasionally I feel the line tickling my heart, which is a little disconcerting. It does cause sporadic heart palpitations, but it doesn’t hurt anywhere near as much as my spleen. I don’t think a splenectomy is on the cards, so don’t get your hopes up on avoiding that complaint. And the rest of my arm is still in agony from last week’s darcabazine, so I will be inclined to moan about that for a wee while longer.
Does this thing work for caffeine or alcohol as well?

That is my week thus far, I keep thinking paracetamol doesn’t touch the darcabazine arm pain, but then the drug wears off and anguish again sets in. I have a proper purple vein this time, still a little bruising, and a slight uncomfortable feeling in my chest when I slouch or breathe too deeply. They have x-rayed my chest to see where the line is sitting and everything is as it should be, so I guess it will be a feeling that, in time, I will become accustomed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.