Monday 17 August 2015

What the hell is going on?

Oh, dear body! Why would you engage in grey lipped teeth chattering whilst in an extremely public place? Do you despise me that much? I am aware that the environment in which we currently sit, together, could be deemed overheated, so why the hypothermic shivering? The lady exiting the bathroom did shoot me a rather peculiar look but thankfully did not comment on such ridiculous behaviour.

I am afraid I have little to update you on. Last week the surgical team successfully removed a lymph node from my neck, the same node that was biopsied in December. I feel a little sorry for the node; it provided me with my initial diagnosis and is rewarded with excision. Now it is doomed to spend the remainder of its days in a specimen pottle on a laboratory bench. Some may argue that the node will be immortalised given the inevitable formaldehyde fixation but for me, the node is gone forever. I never even learned his name. Sob, sniff, sniff. Although I have described remorse at the loss of this particular node, remorse does not actually convey how I feel. I am glad the surgeons chose my neck. The only other option was a full on abdominal laparotomy; days in hospital, weeks of recovery, and a rather high chance of some major blood loss. So I was relieved when, after some gentle manipulation from both Mike and me, neck surgery was chosen.

As a child, and some may argue as an adult, I was moderately clumsy. However, despite my greatest efforts, I never required surgery. Sure a few superficial stitches here and there, the occasional scar or two, but nothing a local anaesthetic couldn’t handle. This biopsy was full on surgery; fasting, felt tip markings on my neck, oxygen mask, general anaesthetic, slight room spinning, oh these drugs are quite fun, “keep your eyes open for as long as possible”, as long as possible being about ten seconds, unconsciousness, breathing tube, blackness. At some point, I recall somebody, probably a nurse, asking “can you tell us your name and date of birth?” I could not. I flung my left arm vaguely towards the voice, attempting to direct them towards my hospital ID bracelet. I may not have known who I was but I knew how the interested parties could find out. I, myself, could not figure out how to open my eyes let alone my mouth.

Eventually, I did wake and was surprised at how lucid I found myself. I had a comprehensive discussion with my nurse about Leeds, where he had studied, and conveyed to him how uncomfortable my throat felt, an apparent result of my breathing tube. I was rewarded for my efforts with a lemonade Popsicle. All-right. I will never know how long the actual procedure took but I was unconscious for about two hours. My Leeds nurse disappeared once I regained consciousness. I feel he has the best nursing job; once his patients wake up his job is done and he moves on to the next unconscious patient. Minimal conversational topics required and he probably gets to witness some hilarious awakenings.

Where am I? A post opiate Popsicle

Now we wait for the biopsy results. I recall little from my university histology classes. What I do remember is the tissue preparation process was time consuming, required a finesse I could never muster, and that our instructor had to leave the university abruptly due to some rather shocking criminal proceedings. The third item is, of course, the most vivid. What I am attempting to say here is that histology is tricky and takes a while. It is also a discipline where most of the samples are deemed urgent in priority as they will all be required for cancer diagnosis.

Before I received my distressing PET scan results, the waiting period had a peculiar sombre feeling, as if I was suspended in time rather than participating in it. For reasons I cannot explain, the current waiting does not evoke any ill ease. It is a little frustrating not being able to update anybody, as there is nothing to update, but aside from that minor inconvenience, I am feeling rather ambivalent about it all. There is a risk that denial has crept back into my mindset. In the waiting periods, in the not knowing, there remains a possibility that the cancer no longer exists, the results could be negative, my enlarged nodes could be merely reactive. These thoughts, desires if you will, are not productive. They ought to be cast aside. There will only be disappointment if, or when, such thoughts turn out to be false hopes. This would be a situation where positive thinking is inappropriate. A more realistic approach is called for.

Healthwise I appear to be holding up ok. My blood results remain normalish. An interesting side note; in contrast to most lymphoma cases my LDH levels (an enzyme used to monitor cell turnover) have been normal throughout my illness. The marker of my disease has been my CRP levels. Currently, my CRP sits at 23 which, although technically raised, amounts to a mild shrug and barely audible ‘meh’ diagnostically. Certainly not the 280 odd they were at the height of my illness. So there is little disease progression as far as the lab is concerned. Although I have had (minor) night sweats four consecutive nights now. And there are these bouts of inconvenient teeth chattering….

Since my new PICC line was inserted I have been unable to straighten my elbow. Some wicked bruising and bicep swelling presented Thursday night and kind of indicated that there was more to the issue than mere muscle stiffness. An ultrasound revealed a haematoma near the entry site; good news really as the other possibility was a blood clot. Now I watch with fascination as the bruising extends down my arm, an apparent response of the haematoma to gravity. I am still unable to straighten my arm but the swelling has subsided, not quite completely, but sufficiently. I can at least get my arm through my sleeve now without looking too comical.

And so we continue to wait. Fortunately, our cancer accommodation still applies during this waiting period and therefore we do have a rather comfortable roof over our heads. We are, however, relying on government-funded Wi-Fi, hence the inappropriate shivering in highly public places such as Te Papa or the Wellington library. I am rather appreciative of such facilities!               

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.