Wednesday 14 October 2015

Inpatient notes

It is rather difficult to begin these posts. For this particular entry I do, at least, have a rough plan in regards to content. Beginnings, however, are a little tougher. Rather than pouring over the notes I made as an inpatient, my eyes instead dart around the room in search of creative inspiration before finally focusing on inconsequential features. An item that has struck up particular interest with me today is a medium-sized faux Christmas tree leaning at a slight angle against the corner of the lounge area. Given it is now October I can only assume the tree has been in such a position for at least ten months. It may well have been sitting there for years. Perhaps it is doomed to lean like a naughty child for the remainder of its days, the transient tenant population here would never notice. Yes this unseasonable tree is an insignificant, yet still a distraction, and thus I am no closer to beginning this post.

“Pouring” over inpatient notes is somewhat hyperbolic. Such a word implies I wrote substantially over those five days, that I have screeds of brilliant jots just waiting, begging, to be stitched together, inevitably forming a mythically beautiful piece of prose. This is not quite reality. Indeed one day I merely wrote “two hours sleep total”, I mean, that is hardly Man Booker material. It is not even grammatically pleasing. But I guess we should be grateful that I did at least make some notes elsewise there is a high chance that I would still be waffling on about fake Christmas trees. I think the general theme one can take from these now infamous inpatient notes is that my first round of chemo went rather well. Almost eerily well. Like, I keep expecting something to jump up behind me, or to receive an ominous phone call, or, I don’t know, some sort of clinical setback involving zombies, vampires and rabid dogs. Unimaginative, I know, but that is where my mind first raced to.

I may have mentioned in my previous post that this ICE chemo regime is to be administered as an inpatient rather than as an outpatient. Hence the formation of inpatient scribbles. Despite my nocturnal rigor-fever-sweat-rigor-fever-sweat-sweat-sweat routine, I felt aptly prepared after my first night on the ward for the twenty-four hour Ifosfamide infusion I perceived I was receiving that day. It turns out that the Ifosfamide infusion happens the second day not the first. The first day is merely a thirty minute Etoposide infusion, which actually is a nice way to ease into things, but I must confess that administering drugs out of acronym order did boggle my over-analytical brain just a bit. If we may, just for the sake of completeness, confirm the actual acronym, then technically it ought to be EECIE. Not as memorable, granted, and phonetics could pose a problem especially as I have some accent confusion when it comes to e’s and i’s, but I feel it gives one a more accurate indication of drug order. But do not fear! The remains of my first day were not all in vain, I was rewarded for my efforts with another blood transfusion. I will blame my marginal haemoglobin for my more-than-marginal breathlessness in Wharariki. This transfusion was somewhat comical as, owing to difficulties regarding vein size and PICC lines, I currently have a central line protruding from my neck. I rather felt I resembled a paradoxical vampire. An uber efficient paradoxical vampire.

The Master would be so proud
It is difficult to know if the following sleepless night was due to the transfusion or due to the dexamethasone, which is given as an anti-emetic. Possibly it was due to both. Dex is hardly Prednisone but it does have the ability to keep one awake at night. What I can assure is that this was not merely a tossing and turning night. This was a ‘let’s go for a run’ night. My legs did not wish to maintain a horizontal position despite protestations from my heavy brain. Background nausea had kicked in you see, sleep would have been well appreciated. Instead I relied on mouthfuls of ginger beer, regular blood pressure checks, and Albert Camus to pass the night. That day I was connected via my neck bling to the ever-eager-to-beep pump machine for the remains of my chemotherapy, administered ECIE over thirty hours. I managed to sleep all day and all night. In hindsight the sleepless night may well have worked in my favour. It is best to be sleepy when immobile.

I woke from my slumber marathon much resembling a puffer fish. My hair and eyebrows askew; my hands, feet, knees, and cheeks bloated and swollen; well it all compounded to form this aggravated fish look. The Ifosfamide is given with litres of fluid. It is rather toxic to the bladder so the clinical team wish to keep urine output to a maximum, in fact they actually measure the urine. All of it. When they weighed me that puffer fish morning, as they did each morning, I had gained four kilograms. Well I can tell you, cancer or not, no young woman (I’m young in the haem ward) wishes to be told such things. Overnight? Four kilograms? If I had had any facial definition remaining I am sure I would have frowned. I informed my nurse that I had attempted to self-medicate with a nice New Zealand long black. Coffee, however, is a weak diuretic and the one she had to offer me was ‘very, very strong’. What does ‘very, very strong’ mean? Well it means I now know my bladder capacity is about 900mls, and I had to completely empty it three times in the first hour. That roughly equated to three kilograms, visible kilograms too; I had my cheekbones back within the hour. 

And that, friends, was the height of the drama. A mere puffy morning. I did not even throw up. I slept a lot. I continue to sleep a lot. I am not quite at narcoleptic levels but my body is certainly making up for the many nights lost due to rigors and fevers and sweats. In the first of what I can only assume will be many comparisons to ABVD, ICE went pretty bloody well. I recall that complacent day in January, a day that feels a lifetime ago, with horror, and horror is what I expected to experience again. Perhaps in preparing for horror the horror itself dissipates. Perhaps Kurtz just needed more preparation. These past two months I have watched fellow patients begin their treatment and never once, funnily enough, was I jealous of them. I did not wish to start treatment but now that it has actually begun I am glad. So for now I leave you as an outpatient feeling ‘not too bad’, although I do suspect the decline and subsequent fall will be rather drastic.               

3 comments:

  1. Love the pic! Am thinking of you often. Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do those annoying nurses wake you at 6am to be weighed. It's my least favourite part of nightshift, waking people who have been awake all night to sit on my scales for that all
    Important morning weigh in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha, no not in Wellington. It is at a more sociable hour, about 9 a.m. I think!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.