Tuesday 16 August 2016

My time as a laser kiwi

Let us talk about June. I know it is now August and June was a while back, but I feel events in June need to be mentioned. Mike and I moved into a cottage in The Wood. It was built in 1868 and, seeing as insulation didn’t reach mainstream New Zealand until the late 2000’s, it was a little chilly with June’s winter temperatures. Fortunately, a bit of furniture and global warming has made the little cottage quite comfortable in August. Screw the future generations right? Mike had returned to the office and we had our cat back. She even seemed to like me more. We were reintegrating into everyday life. Living the dream. All I had to do was keep house; do the dishes, maybe a load of laundry, cook dinner. There was one problem though, I couldn’t manage.

The usual complaints were present – spleen, fevers, fatigue – but also new ailments were arising. There was this cough. It started in the early morning and by midday I was trying my darndest to expel both lungs from my body. The effort was in vain. All I ever expelled was my stomach contents. Then there was this upper back pain. My shoulders had begun hurting a while ago, maybe January. It made sense; I was less than active, my posture has always been poor, and prednisone muscle disintegration was well under way. Of course I would have a sore back. Oh and my Hickman line, that must be contributing to my poor posture. Best have that removed. Physio will help. Get some exercise in. Strengthen those muscles. Keep doing those stretches. Surely stretching should ease some pain. But the pain was worse, not better. A trip to Wellington and some codeine. The pain worsened. It was a hot poker stabbing into both shoulders, slicing down my spine and my left arm. I couldn’t even make a coffee in the morning. Things were getting desperate. I was hitting the paracetamol hard. Despite antibiotics, the cough was still present and it jolly-well hurt to cough. I became almost bed-ridden. I say almost because occasionally I did manage to crawl downstairs and settle, with the cat, upon the couch. But I’d had enough. Everyday life sucked.

Wearing the same expression

I do try hard to leave the lovely Wellington haem team in peace but I found the situation distressing enough to contact them. I mean, I couldn’t even make a coffee. Dire, I tell you, dire. And with my rasping cough and charming wheeze, who wouldn’t be keen to see me? Wellington were certainly keen. After a quick chest x-ray and a sneaky blood transfusion I was admitted, with suspected bronchitis, and offered Tazocin for the next three to four days. Initially, when this adventure started around two years ago, I had no side effects from antibiotics. Now, well, let us just say they actively encourage bowel movements. This is a quite common side effect among patients. I have no idea why. Anyway, whilst I was admitted they decided to check out my back pain. There were no spinal abnormalities on the CT scan. Perhaps it was referred pain from my spleen. An MRI was scheduled, cancelled, rescheduled, re-cancelled, and finally performed. I’d had an MRI as a child but couldn’t remember much of it other than being allowed to listen to headphones, which at the time I thought was quite neat. I guess I was a lot smaller back then. The MRI scanner was long and narrow, much narrower than the PET scanner. I find small spaces comforting so it did not bother me much. I was more worried about how my back would cope laying still for an hour. The back was fine; I had enough morphine on board to numb any pain and create some rather disconcerting hallucinations. They were not fun hallucinations. They were shitty everyday things that I knew weren’t real. Like a nurse appearing at the foot of my bed, a nurse who I knew wasn’t real because they had the wrong uniform on. But illusionary nurses still seem to frighten me. Not fun. Oh and the headphones hadn’t changed since I was a kid. 

The MRI results were back before smoko. It was one of those ‘bad news is also good news’ moments. There were lymphomatous deposits (yup, still not quite sure what that means) in my spinal column, pressing on a few nerve roots. This is known to happen in Hodgkin's disease. The masses were in just the right spot to be deferring pain and numbness down my arm. There were also some more masses at the tail of my spine. My physio had asked me, way back in March when I first turned up on her doorstep, whether my pain could be due to cancerous masses. I assured her that couldn’t possibly be the case, I was scanned often and there had never been any evidence of masses. Well, she was right. But it was good news. Radiotherapy could ease the pain. Yus, no more exercises.

And so I got to experience radiotherapy. Don’t worry, physics is far from my favourite subject so there will be minimal science in this one. You’ll have to ask Mike for the technical details, the whole subject tends blows my mind into tiny pieces. From what I can gather, one x-ray beam runs from head to foot and the other is fired perpendicular to the body. Where the two beams meet is where the radiotherapy is targeted. The day before radiotherapy started I had another CT scan to ensure the x-ray beams were inline with my tumours. This is done down to the millimetre. Yup, they can actually move the bed one millimetre. In order to line you up each session they need to have, and remember, a reference point. An easy and permanent way to do that is with a small tattoo. I now have four. Mike was expecting crosshairs but really you cannot notice them. They are barely the size of a pinprick. But they make me feel badass all the same. I’ve wondered what happens if I require further radiotherapy; do they strike a cross through the old points or reuse them? Maybe I could bring a few designs in, really embrace the procedure.

Once I had my initiation tattoo, it was business time. To be honest, business just required me to lay still for half an hour whilst some pretty hi-tech contraptions whizzed about me. There were lasers, both red and green, and the lights were low; I expected the theme from Star Wars to begin. It didn’t. Instead Crowded House droned in the background. That was probably the worst part; Crowded House playing and being unable to move or block my ears. Honestly, there was nothing more to it. It looked spectacular but I felt nothing. I was even surprised when, a couple of hours after, I vomited violently upon myself. Nausea is one of the side effects, you see, but I had failed to remember that I’d even had radiotherapy. A week later when I couldn’t swallow, I finally believed that it had actually done something. Oesophagal tissue is quite sensitive to x-ray beams so my throat got angry. It was all I could do to finish my Fortisip. Through a straw. I must confess I was pretty cranky about this. I had finally developed an appetite and now I couldn’t eat. Oh the irony! Other than my inflamed throat (which lasted a week), fatigue, and nausea, there wasn’t too much to grizzle about. I’d even managed to charm the haem team enough to allow my release from hospital. Either charm, or they were desperate to get rid of me. I’d like to think it was the first. Fortunately, Hodgkin’s cells are sensitive to radiation, so my dose was low compared to most radiotherapy patients. I only required five days of treatment. Most people I’ve met have spent six weeks under the zapper. In comparison, my side effects were minimal.

So that was June and half of July. I know I have been tardy with this update and I apologise for this and the quality of the content. It is a little disjointed. Now that my back pain does not cause my legs to buckle or me to emit audible groans, there ought to be more frequent updates. The radiotherapy has worked, I am no longer on any painkillers, not even paracetamol. Maybe that is why GlaxoSmithKline’s share-price dropped in June. It was nothing to do with Brexit.      


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.