Thursday 2 February 2017

A smooth journey

I have chanced upon a tiny opportunity to write. It is frantic over the holiday season what with social engagements, gorgeous weather, summer events; it is difficult to find the time and solitude required for writing. Most spare time I have is dedicated to sleeping. But I have some time now, to write, and I will seize it. All fingers on the keyboard.

But what to write about. It is not that I am short on material. Ideas flutter restlessly inside my head, and I swing my white net in an aimless attempt to catch one, just one. The thoughts are there, but are they appropriate? What do you, my loyal fans, wish to read about? What would help others in similar situations? I have been hit, once again, with an urge to make this blog useful. However, full disclosure will plunge you into some rather personal and intimate experiences that, frankly, I do not believe you wish to learn about. And any poor stranger who Google stumbles upon this blog is bound to despise its style, instantly hitting the little x of doom, never finding their way to the juicy content. This leaves me with a hole, a content hole. I cannot figure out how to write a post of substance without oversharing. I want to write a post that will help a stranger. I guess we, in New Zealand at least, are still in holiday mode; a relaxed post may be more appropriate than my usual doom and gloom. Ok, it is decided. I will set down my glass of Ural and cranberry (my drink of choice since Christmas Eve), and resort, much like the media, to triviality. I am going to document my hair loss.

I thought I had already written this post. I know the issue has been on my mind a bit. But a cringeworthy flick through my black book produces little documentation on the issue. I also noted, with a tinge of shame, that I have never posted a picture of myself bald. This was not consciously intended and it bothers me that it has happened. I shall make up for absence in this post, be rest assured. Earlier, I alluded to hair loss as a trivial issue. If you take the entire cancer picture, it does seem like a mere pixel. Yet it is odd, when grappling with a cancer diagnosis the first issue that springs to mind is hair loss. I think the issue trumps prognosis. It was certainly one of the first thoughts that flicked through my mind. I even discussed it with my ward-mate. A week after her first chemo round, she was beginning to lose her hair. We both agreed to chop ours off as soon as we were released. I mean discharged. I wonder, why the focus on hair loss? For some, I imagine, it is the only aspect of cancer they are aware of. Cancer = bald. This is a misconception. Not all cancer patients require chemotherapy, not all chemotherapy drugs cause hair loss, and radiotherapy can cause hair loss at the targeted site. Cancer may = bald, but not necessarily. Perhaps the concern has to do with control. By cutting off my hair I was proving to my body, to my life, that I still had an element of control over it, albeit fleeting. I could dictate, at least, how my hair would fall out. A similar effect happens with diets. Many patients I’ve met, and their families, focus heavily on their diet once diagnosed. Food intake is one of the few things they can control. Many patients receive nutribullets as gifts.

I never had a good relationship with my hair. It was explosive, unruly, neither straight nor curly, just frizz and booff. I am not patient when it comes to hair. Lazy, really. Hairstyling was not worth the effort because the outcome was never successful. However, I was always afraid to cut it short. This fear stems from my childhood; I always had long hair, I was encouraged to keep it long. There were even rules regarding hair length. Cutting my hair was the first of many releases I have experienced since being diagnosed. It looked infinitely better short and required minimal daily maintenance. I wish I had done it years ago. And now when I look back, it seems a ridiculous thing to have been afraid of.

Every drug interacts with every patient differently. There is little the medical teams can do to predict how I will respond to a particular drug, and how Mary down the corridor will respond. The only way they can do so is by using statistics. You see these stats in the drug inserts; 1 in 10 patients will experience nausea, 1 in 100000 will turn into the Incredible Hulk. When it came to ABVD chemotherapy and hair loss, all the med team could offer me was a shrug. I may lose it, I may not. My experience with ABVD was a gradual loss. I was a moulting domestic animal, without any hair regrowth. The decision to cut my hair short was again ratified; shedding long hair would have been cleaning nightmare. As it was my discarded hair was all through the flat, interwoven with my clothes, the couch, the carpet; but at least not the shower drain. I had six months of ABVD, after five months my hair was thin, patchy, and my animal resemblance had switched from domesticated to mangey. One sunny July afternoon, part in panic, but also because I saw no other option, I paid 10 quid at a High Street walk-in-salon for a number three cut. It was an awkward experience. The stylist kept asking how short I normally have it. I kept replying that I had never shaved my head before, my hair had fallen out, I wasn’t rocking this patchwork design by choice. She asked again how short I normally shaved it. The number three was too long, she re-did it for me as short as she could. I was left with stubble, more like a movie prisoner than a cancer patient. Afterwards, in a burst of consumerism, I bought a bikini. Perhaps I was proving my womanhood.
  
The regrowth was almost worth the loss. It grew back fair, soft and downy much like it was during my infancy. People, not always acquaintances, would rub their hands through my luxurious stubble. The rate of growth was much like the rate of loss; gradual hair thickening, rather than constant regrowth. It was two months before I required a trim, three before I needed a full cut. All in all, I felt the regrowth post ABVD to be successful. My hair was easy to style, a pleasant hue, and not too thick. But, of course, I was destined to lose it all again.

When I began ICE chemotherapy there was more certainty in regards to hair loss. I was probably going to lose my hair. In medical speech, ‘probably’ translates to “about 95% chance”. I used the term ‘probable’ often when reporting blood films. No one can ever be certain. So I was going to lose my hair again with ICE, but when I would lose it, well, they couldn’t really say. Two weeks after my first dose I ran my hand across my head, a nervous habit I have, and it emerged with a fistful of hair. That evening, using my father-in-law's clippers, we shaved it right back. Two days later my head was smooth and shiny, just in time for summer. In contrast to the slow gradual decline of ABVD, the ICE hair loss was rapid and complete. Tidy, one may say, no loose ends.

The silky smoothness of ICE
The hair loss was uniform, and it grew back in a uniform manner. But the regrowth was not the same as it was ABVD. This time my hair returned dark, thick, and in some places, curly. Did I mention think? And explosive, especially in humidity. Apparently hair can still be explosive when it is short. It took about six weeks from the end of treatment before I needed my first haircut. I did not lose my hair with Brentuximab, nor with immunotherapy. For nine months I lived with a full head of hair, washing and trimming, like most women my age. My hair remained unruly, until it was time to lose it again.

I was lying upon the radiotherapy bed, amid brain malfunctions, lasers, and millimetre movements, when the consultant came in and ran her hand gently through my hair. A sympathetic “you’ll lose all your hair again” was met with a grunt of indifference. I had lost it twice already, I would not care if I lost it again. This time, however, I was much more concerned about my baldness. Radiotherapy hair loss was much like that of ICE. About a week after my first session, my hair started to fall out in clumps. Although my hair was short, it was dense, and there was too much of it to allow it to fall out ‘naturally’. Mike ran his clippers through, a number four. That evening we realised that four wasn’t short enough; there was still too much shedding hair, all course and irritating. We shaved it back as short as we could, then let the stubble fall out as is pleased, occasionally polishing my skull like a bowling ball. Patches of stubborn stubble remained, and for a while I looked a little ridiculous. I don’t know that I look any better now, I think I have just stopped caring as much. Radiotherapy hair loss is impractical. Chemotherapy hair loss is indiscriminate; yes I may have a bald head but at least I do not have to shave my legs. With radiotherapy, the hair loss is precise. So precise, that not only is leg shaving required, but also neck shaving. There is a small patch of fluff that did not fall within the radiotherapy field. If I don’t shave it I look like I am morphing into my wolf form. It has been two months since my radiotherapy and, if I close my eyes as I rub my skull, thinking neato thoughts, I can kind of imagine some stubble. I am aware that I may never have hair again. 

Brain radiotherapy hair loss
This time the hair loss was emotional, I think in part because my brain was mush and everything was a bit emotional, but also because it announced to the world my true identity again. I have been unmasked. I have lost my superhero disguise. One glance and, assuming my gender has been correctly determined, anyone can quickly sum up my situation. Baldness actually offers more protection in public. People are more patient, more considerate, however, I always feel more vulnerable. I bumbled along earlier about hair loss and control. Although control may play a minor role, the reason I focused on losing my hair was because it would be the most obvious change. To keep one's hair is to maintain one shred of normality, because the rest of your life has exploded. And, in my case, will never be the same. I know I cannot speak on behalf of men in regards to hair loss. My automatic assumption was that it would bother them less than it would a woman. Society, I thought, is more tolerant of a bald male. Most of the men I met in the wards were bald before their treatment. However some weren’t, and I was surprised when a few mentioned their distress at losing their hair. I guess for some men baldness is an everyday anxiety now brought to life. For me, baldness wasn’t ever something I needed to worry or think about.

But you know Liv, you can get a wig. Ah yes, wigs, an interesting concept. Both Britain and New Zealand offer free wig services to cancer patients. Cancer teams are quick to point this out, and rightfully so. From the outset, a wig was not for me. Despite the content of this post, I have never been hair focused. I do not enjoy styling my hair. I have always deemed hair fashion a strange social convention rather than a hobby or an interest. A wig would be difficult to manage, and I wouldn’t like to look in the mirror and see an unfamiliar image returning my gaze. Although I am bald, I still look like Liv. But I have seen patients transformed by their wigs. A young woman, perhaps twenty, was nearing the end of her chemotherapy cycles. This is a time when, mentally, things start to slip. Cumulative fatigue, infections, constant nausea; attitude cannot help but plummet. Her wigs arrived and she was a changed person. The different styles and colours revitalised her. Well, I mean, curing her cancer actually revitalised her, but the boost to her emotional state was massive, and in part due to a couple of wigs. So I am not saying that wigs are bad, I am saying they are not appropriate for me.

I am surprised how often non-medical people, people I don’t really know too well, are keen to inform me that I can get a wig. As if I had never been notified of this option, as if the thought had not been put to me. Some ask with excitement “Oh are you going to get a wig?” I do not mind that question so much, I get a chance to be a little philosophical and it is easier on both parties than talking about nausea or what have you. But others ask with a bit more force “Well, you know you can get a wig don’t you? Yes, yes, you can definitely get a wig” acting surprised when I reply that yes I do know, and no I don’t want one. Don’t get me wrong, I know the subject is difficult. I know that people do not know what to say to me. I know that there is no correct thing to say. In some ways, the wig question is flattering; it shows that someone is interested in my situation, that it is worthy of discussion. It is not their question that bugs me, it is their reaction to my answer.

I do appreciate a decent brain blurt. A blurt offers a rare opportunity to hear genuine thoughts, rather than false social pretences. It seems my wigless policy is unexpected, because often I get a brain blurt response. And sometimes, a brain blurt will show you an internal thought process you had no desire to know. “Are you getting a wig Liv?” Eager voice, leaning forward gently, excitement in their eyes, “Ah no, a wig is not really for me.” Abrupt posture pullback, “Oh….. well….. I mean, you look good bald, you’re lucky you didn’t have a giant mole or a misshapen head or something.” I do have a mole, and a weird brown stripe that runs across my head. A permanent tan line I think, from where my part sat for years. Neither of these were aspects of my baldness that bothered me. Nor was the prospect of a misshapen head. And I am sitting there, having an awkward conversation with someone I don’t really know, and I start to wonder if as a bald dying thirty-something I ought to be wearing a wig to make others feel more comfortable. I catch my reflection; no makeup, loose clothes to hide my puffy exterior, a set of gold studs to try and seem just a little feminine; my interlocutor, immaculately turned out. Do those who thoroughly groom themselves deserve more effort from me? Do they deserve a wig? Does a stray member of public who sees me one sunny afternoon deserve to be hidden from my baldness, protected on a Sunday from the horrors of the world?

No. First off, they are wrong, those who worry about misshapen heads. I have never seen a bald cancer patient who did not look beautiful. People say that I suit my baldness, but I haven’t seen anyone, man or woman, who doesn’t it. This anxiety is misguided. Secondly, too many illnesses and disabilities are hidden from society. Compassion, globally, is waning. Exposure may help. Let your children stare and point and ask honest questions, even wig related, they don’t embarrass me. Let strangers, adult strangers, ask as well. Because you do get some good questions, from complete strangers. At the beach, one woman approached me asking who had shaved me head. Did a professional do it, because her hair had begun to fall out just that morning and she wasn’t quite sure which hair removal approach was best to take. Another woman said to me “Sorry I am not staring” (she was staring) “my daughter went through cancer a few years back and seeing you reminded me of it.” These are nice comments to hear. When I was first diagnosed I found myself staring at others who had already lost their hair. I was imagining what it would be like for me. When one is staring, one is usually in thought. So in a way staring is better than the sudden drop-your-eyes-avoidance technique, a technique that is all too common.

With my wig policy now firmly established, what about hats? Well, hats are a practical issue. I have experienced baldness in both summer and winter months, thanks to our relocation across hemispheres. Not that one has a choice, but I think winter is easier for baldness. A layering of skull caps and woolly hats sufficed a Wellington winter; a New Zealand summer is a little harder to manage. It becomes too warm to wear a buff, I do not have the finesse to pull off a head scarf, and if I opt for nothing, I end up with a pink and peeling scalp. Sunburn, such a rookie error. So with buffs and woolly hats out, the only option is a sunhat. I must confess that here I am a little fussy. The first issue is size. Most hats are designed for women with hair. Most cancer patients do not have hair. I, apparently, have a small head. On more than one occasion I have been seen rushing around the children’s section of Kmart in a desperate attempt to find a bucket hat that fits. And doesn’t have glitter butterflies or monster trucks on it. No, a child’s hat is not appropriate. A straw hat would be ideal. It would protect the neck and face whilst maintaining some femininity. I have mentioned femininity a few times now, so I ought to take a moment here to elaborate. I believe this aspect of baldness is what bothered me the most. And I am annoyed that it concerns me so much. But this blog is honest and so I must openly admit that losing my femininity bothered me. I have never been overly feminine, a bit of a tom-boy, I tend to opt for comfort rather than fashion. Since I have been bald, I have put considered thought into my outfits, in order to resemble a woman. Why, I am not sure. Because it should not matter. This is an issue to ponder; a little insecurity, a little shallowness within me, that I did not realise existed. Or perhaps I did realise but had failed to admit it.



Anyway, back to the hat. A straw hat, for me, was the ideal choice. Protects the neck, the face, and it looks pretty. Just go out a buy a straw hat. Ah, but it is not that simple. I have already mentioned size; most are too large for the hairless. “One size fits all” my ass. And most straw hats are not lined. The straw from the hat stabs and scratches the sensitive scalp. It is too warm to wear a buff as well as a hat. Surely men have this problem too? It is really hard to find a straw hat with a lining in it. I feel there is a market here, if any hat designers happen to be reading this. Last summer, during my second baldness patch, whilst I was stressed and sulking, Mike found a hat in TradeAid. Straw, petite, attractive with a yellow cotton lining. Perfect! However, Liv left that hat in Apia during a particularly bad travel day. One of many hats Liv has left scattered around the globe. It is like my signature. If you see a stray hat on a bus, on a beach, in a bar, think of me. It is probably mine. This summer, I needed to find a hat rather quickly. Nelson is much sunnier and hotter than Wellington, I could not risk sun exposure. TradeAid did not have any in store, but fortunately online they did; not quite the same as last summer’s, but close enough. I still spent four hours wandering around town, stressed and frantic, trying to find a replacement. My advice is to go straight to TradeAid for your hat requirements.

I guess this is why I don’t write these posts too often. They tend to exceed the acceptable blog post length, and they tend to be terribly boring. I, myself, feel I ought to rub the drool stain from my chin, the mark of an impromptu nap. I know that with all the issues facing the world today, hair loss ought to seem trivial. It has become obvious after writing this post that it has affected me more than I had initially thought or admitted. And I feel bad about that.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.